The Guilt of not Working

Hi to anyone who might happen to stumble across this blog.

Earlier this week I ended up in a conversation about the choices women are forced to make in terms of occupation once they have kids and the guilt that comes with this decision.

I think i should start off by saying that in the country I live in, the maternity leave is 40 days. That was way too short for me so I resigned at the end of my maternity leave with the plan of finding another job once my daughter turned 6 months. Now she's a year old and I am still struggling with the same thing.

On the one hand, I feel that my university degree and work experience is going to waste if I choose to stay home with my daughter. I can sense the disappointment of my parents who payed for my education. I can tell that though my husband tells me that it is my choice and that he supports me regardless, he would prefer that we had a second income.

On the other hand, the thought of leaving my daughter in the hands of strangers all day brings me to tears. I just feel that it would not be the best thing for her and that God put me on this earth to take care of my children.

So since I will feel guilty either way, I have chosen to stay home with my daughter since I think that will benefit her the most. At the same time I am working on finding a more flexible alternative in order to bring in some extra income. I have made an account on Upwork and started applying for simple jobs with few working hours like little translating jobs or VA jobs. It'll be exciting to see if it works out but regardless, I am working on finding income as if that is my job, spending a few hours each day on it.

Anyone have any tips on dealing with this guilt?

Leela

Comments